Every Person Is A Gift



by Eena Joyce Estores

[January 20, 2012 at Cottolengo Filipino in Montalban, Rizal]


Today, I've experienced a different kind of feeling, a feeling that I never thought I'd feel, when I spent almost three hours with those wonderful persons in Cottolengo.



Cottolengo Filipino is a generous institute in Montalban, Rizal where mentally challenged children are taken care of. I am very blessed to be part of the MUKHAAD (Masiglang Ugnayan ng nga Kabataang Hinuhubog sa Anyo ng Anak ng Diyos) batch 23 who had the honor of accompanying them even just for a while.

Every simple gestures that we execute made them smile, made them feel that they're not alone, that they're not different from us. Those smiles from their lips touched my heart. I couldn't help but stare at them, smile and at the same time, be teary-eyed. 

I couldn't take away the feeling of guilt. Those little things that we did for them gave them happiness. But what about me? What about us? We, ourselves with a family and with good health never felt content. Happiness for us is different from what it means to them. But what really is true happiness? Have you ever asked that question to yourself? I, myself, have no clear answer to that yet. But with what I have felt earlier, I think that I already have a clue to what true happiness is. And I'm sure that no material thing will ever contribute to that kind of happiness.

Also, I realized how lucky I am to be with my family. Those children in Cottolengo were abandoned by their own family. It is very frustrating to think that there are persons in this world who take away the right of their own children to be with them, with their family. They have never done anything wrong to be treated like that. They are also human beings like us. We are all persons who deserve all the love we can get. In the eyes of the Lord, we are equal. We should treat other people the way we want us to be treated.

Do you think that you are more human because you are healthy, handsome or pretty, intelligent, skillful, etc.? Well, think again. In fact, most of us are less of who they are. 

"Every person is a gift. And we should not only be a gift to ourselves but also, to other people." - Ate Joyce


0 comments:

Post a Comment